Tuesday, July 31, 2007

In the Beginning

Last Wednesday, I visited my OB-GYN (Dr. H) with a lump in my breast (medical records always say 'complaining of' - I wasn't complaining then, but I could be tempted to now). She took a look, stepped out, and called her colleague (Dr. F) at the Women's Breast Imaging Center. When she returned to the room, she told me to get in my car, drive over, and have an initial mammogram and ultrasound done. I called Zack, and he met me there. Based on the results, we knew it was breast cancer.

Thursday morning I went back to Dr. F for an MRI and biopsy. The good news: Nothing on the left side. The bad news: the tissue was too hard for a good biopsy.

Friday afternoon, Dr. F called with the biopsy results. Cancer, but the pathologist couldn't determine what sort from the sample.

Weekend: Frantic research. Thank you, Jemma's uncle, for the great articles!

Tuesday, we visited the oncologist (Dr. B) for the first time. She recommends chemotherapy, followed by surgery and radiation. She also sent me for a whole bunch of tests. Zack and I were bustled across the street to the hospital for a second biopsy (this time with Dr. R). Of course, we had to wait for half an hour to check in first. Hurry up and wait. Good news: Dr. R thinks the tissue will be enough for the pathologist. Bad news: the mass looks bigger than at last week's ultrasound.

Summary: Yes, cancer. We don't know what sort (ductal or lobular, spreading or in situ), or what stage (I=good, IV=bad). Pathologist will call Wednesday afternoon with the type, and Friday with the stage and characteristics. Wednesday, I have a bone scan to see if the cancer has spread to the bones. Thursday I have a CT scan to see if the cancer has spread to any other organs. And Friday I have a MUGA scan to see if my heart can handle particular kinds of chemo.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that our insurance will pre-certify everything in time. It's been a whirlwind!

No comments: