Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Toxicity

When confronted with a disease there are always those people you look for---you know who I mean. The people who step into a calm room and scream about the insanity going on in the world. The ones who rile the riotous mob about the injustices and fear and abuse and any other encouraging term to bind us all together on the fruitful charge over the cliff with the rest of the lemmings. I hate these people. They are a plague on humanity.

Cancer is scary. You are immediately confronted with your own mortality. It is easy for those of us without it to diminish it and put it away because of this fact. It's human as it's hard to deal with fear on a daily basis. I look to Lynn and see such courage and strength that I feel I have never seen in her before. I don't know how I would be in her shoes. Probably ignoring it and just thinking of anything but that---organize that sock drawer once more.

The internet can add to that fear. You can read a great many things about your condition that you really don't want to know. You can also read many experts in the field with the "right" answer on what to do. Not one page later another "expert" has another "right" way to go. They happen to completely disagree. Now what?

I sit here and look at this and extrapolate it out to other things in the world and marvel at how scared we are as a race. Fear and mistrust riddle everything. It is tiring to second guess the world. Who is winning in all of this misguidance and fear mongering? There are no right answers and we all do our best to not get taken advantage of, because someone always is, right?

It's time to put it all away. Trust in the people you love that maybe they are doing the best they can. Give love and support. Don't question. Don't direct. Don't Diminish. Every day is hard for everyone. Be a cheerleader or a coach. Instead of pointing out all the things not explored, point out all the amazing things done. Maybe nobody has the right answer, so stop looking for it for a while.

Off the soapbox.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You realize of course that you are writing a book that needs to be published.

Zack said...

I also realize that sometimes one needs to breathe before posting. But I guess unfiltered is one way of living through life.

wolfcat said...

I am one of those who battle against the ingrained nature of humans to dramaticize events and, as mom would say, rabble-rouse. In my world of attitudinal adjustment of teenagers, I try to get them to understand that if they are negative people, no one will want to be around them. But, then there are those clever ones that crop up. That one child that can wind up a group of mumbling bitchy teens and all of a sudden, no matter who you are or what you do, you suck, it sucks, life sucks, and nothing you can do will make the tiniest impact. It is a life draining feeling. Until, the one day that kid is out, and everyone else realizes how great a day they had. Being the skillful manipulator of teenagers that I am, we have a discussion about attitude and initiative and their impact on daily life.

If only real life were so easy. When I take over the universe, negativity will be bred out of humans, like a bad temperment in dogs. Of course, in my world, cancer wouldn't attack my sister either. So, I will have to keep working on the taking over thing. But, if I can change one kid...I can hope. Amen, Z.

B'Sarah said...

Hi Zach -- I agree about the book....I also think that your raw emotion and candor here are so authentic..please don't filter. If you can't be real here with your nearest and dearest, then where?! This whole subject of fear is one that I believe permeates just about everything/everywhere because it is how power and control are gotten. If you look at organized religion, academic insitutions and business, they are all on some level managed by fear. So much so, that people are willing to hand there lives over for 'security'...weather it's about where you end up or keeping a job. So, what to do? Change the equation...risky? Not really.