Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Breach, Again

Zack and I are returned from our very rejuvenating vacation in New York. We're still digesting all of our NYC faves (pizza, Chinese, bagels, pretzels, pastrami, and, of course, a black and white cookie). We saw theater, movies, and museums - we are so full of culture we could be yogurt. Our very favorite moment: during the curtain call for Patrick Stewart in Macbeth (just as fantastic as it sounds), a guy to our left yelled "Bravo, Captain Picard!" Yay, trekkies!

So, here we are now at the watershed moment. Tomorrow will either be the first day of the pure prevention phase of my recovery, or it will be the first day of treatment for a new kind of cancer. I'm daunted by both options. On the one hand, I've gotten so used to being a full time patient that it will be strange to start making other sorts of plans. Sortof like being a Chicagoan in February - intrigued by the idea of spring, but skeptical that it could ever really happen. On the other hand, holy crap. Chemo, again. Radiation, again. Bucket day, again. Bald, again.

The craziest part, though, is that whichever way tomorrow goes, I know we can make it. We've got each other, our families, our friends, and a great medical team.

Zack will bring a computer tomorrow, and plans to post once I am out of surgery. If all goes well, I'll be home tomorrow night. For tonight, Zack and I are going out to dinner and celebrating. A little Italian, a little vino, a little fantasizing about the summer...nothing of consequence. Hey, we're still on vacation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are home and that you had a great time! You deserve it!!

I am optimistic about tomorrow -- I will be thinking of you. Easter/Spring = Renewal and Rebirth.

I want to come say hi and bring a casserole.

Laura Beth