Saturday, August 4, 2007

Best Birthday Ever

Today, I had the best 35th birthday I could imagine. For those of you tracking at home, my birthday is actually in June. But, this year I was in Africa for my birthday and Zack decided that we would celebrate when I was home and rested. Turns out, he has had a surprise party planned for weeks. Unfortunately, I ended up having my CT scan rescheduled to today - right in the middle of the party that I didn't know I was having. He made a lot of frantic phone calls last night, and changed both the time and venue with 18 hours notice.

To everyone who changed their plans to drive an extra hour each way to come to our house and celebrate my birthday: you gave me the greatest present I could wish for. I didn't think about having cancer for hours. I felt happy, and normal, and that life goes on.

To everyone who wanted to, and just couldn't make it: I know you would have if it were possible. Thanks for the food, presents, and good wishes. You can come to the party next year. Because there is going to be a blow out.

(Sidenote: 900 mL of 'vanilla smoothie' barium suspension is not the world's best pre-party fare. But barbecued chicken balances it out.)

4 comments:

matthew said...

It was a blast. Normally I hate people, but today there were only cool cats present.

wolfcat said...

As one who is half way across the country on this most festive day, know that as I pulled out grass from my garden (with more vigor than was necessary) my thoughts were at a surprise party in Waukeegan, IL. I will be there soon, I keep telling myself. I will be there soon to hug and kiss my big sister. I hope you know how much we all care about you and that we will give anything and do anything that you may need. I'm even working on that magic bag of holding for you. And then there are always the muppets and fraggles.

Michaela said...

I really wanted to be there, and thought about you all that day.
love nk

Anonymous said...

It was a really fun time. You two have such wonderful, special friends. And a feast of unparalleled proportions. I would expect nothing less from the Gazmoy household. And it was really fun to meet your parents Lynn!