Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Meeting the Surgeon

OK, this one was hard. Dr. S has a great manner - very direct and to the point - but I just didn't want to hear some of the things she had to say. She recommends a full mastectomy rather than a partial, as it is so likely that the cancer cells have infiltrated the whole breast. I completely understand the rationale, and agree (at least, my reasonable self does). I don't think I am that attached to my breasts...not as breasts. But I am fairly attached to all of my bits. I grew them, after all. And then, at the very end of the visit, she suggested that, depending on the result of the BRACA genetic testing, I should consider 'doing both'. But I am not really ready to grapple with that just yet.

First step: Dr. S will insert (install?) a portacath before my next chemo. Hooray! Less needle sticks!

Second step: Three weeks after my last chemo treatment, we have the mastectomy. First week in December, if all goes well.

No comments: