Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cautious Optimism

Dr. B received the pathology report today. She thinks we should take it with 'cautious optimism'.

The left breast had no evidence of any cancer.

In the right breast, the pathologists found an area of two centimeters containing microscopic tumor. This means that the chemotherapy transformed the 12 cm solid tumor that we started with in August into a 2 cm lump of tissue with only microscopic pockets of cancer cells. This is incredible, and proves the cancer had a very strong response to the chemotherapy.

Of the lymph nodes on the right side, 10 of the 16 lymph nodes that Dr. S removed had 1-3 mm pockets of cancer. The bad news is that so many were involved, and cancer remains in them (the lymph nodes being breast cancer's gateway to the rest of the body). Dr B assumes, though, that those lymph nodes were chock full of cancer in August, and that we can take it as a very good sign that the remaining cancer is so small.

Dr. B still plans to have me consult with some other area oncologists to see if more chemo would be advisable. At this point, there would have to be some pretty compelling evidence to get me to go another round right now. My hair is beginning to grow - it feels fuzzier - and I can eat unimpeded. I hadn't realized how cruddy I felt until now, when the effects of chemo have partly worn off. Now that I can relax a little on being brave, my defenses seem to be coming down. I know I could do more treatment if I had to - I won't back down from a challenge - but it would take a huge act of will.

7 comments:

Berit and James said...

Lynn,

Let your defenses down,cry, laugh, scream... whatever it takes. I believe that stuff is good for us(my husband might disagree... LOL)

You have had a long journey, full of challenges. Lynn, the remarkable thing about a woman of your caliber is that you do not only take on challenges, but you do it with such grace.

Look forward to seeing you on Friday!

Big hug,
Berit

Anonymous said...

And all of that crud is OUT of you now. So hurrah for that.

Erin said...

Laaaadies and gentleman. Round one, by unanimous decision (ision ision ision)" [announcer dramatically holding Lynn's hand in the air, but not too high because she's still a bit sore] "Lynn 1, Cancer 0!!!"

The crowd goes wild.

Seriously, I actually cried reading that post, sitting here in the internet cafe. It is a beautiful thing. In the next round you get to knock it out completely. And some day we will all celebrate the day that you had not a speck, not a drop, not a bit of cancer left anywhere.

And that day is coming soon. We've known all along you could do this. And you are doing it, and with far more grace than most people would manage. You are incredible. I am so proud to call you my friend.

Anonymous said...

I've used my thesaurus and translated cautious optimism to "Vigilant Cheer," which I personally prefer. Heal up quick!

Anonymous said...

Cousin -- I have to tell you, I don't know who all these friends of yours are here, but I LOVE them!!! You have done incredible healing work on your body, with the drugs, with your mind, with your body and with your soul...YOU ARE AWESOME!! And that husband of yours....A-Mazing! We love you....xoxo B'Sarah

Zack said...

She feels she hides from the world the fact that she is really not handling this well. In actuality, she hides from herself how truly graceful and strong she has been during all of this and has always been before. She really and truly is the powerful person we all know her to be.

Much Love

Your Zack

Anonymous said...

Hoooooray! Cancer out! I am so happy for the positive prognosis. Look how far you have come!

Lots of good california feelings shooting your way!